Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Marriage Part 3

Dad is of the generation that never expressed feelings. When I was growing up, I don't ever remember hearing him say, "I love you" to my mother. In the past 6 months, he has talked more about love than he has for the previous 86 years.

"I fell in love with my wife. That is what I did. And she fell in love with me. That is what she did."

"We fell in love with each other. We wanted to get married in a hurry. That is what we did."

(I don't know the exact chronology, but some time after Mama and Dad met, Mama went away for several months to complete her degree at Columbia University in New York. This extended separation did not constitute "getting married in a hurry.")

"We waited until we were married to have sex. That is what we did."

"I still love my wife with all my heart. That is what I do. And my wife still loves me. She tells me 'I love you'."

"We've been married a long time. That is true of us."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home