Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Religion

Background: Dad's family was Seventh Day Adventist. Mom's family was Methodist. Dad never went to any church in my lifetime, not even to see his children sing in the choir or preform in church plays. I have only known him to go to church for his parents' funerals when I was 9 years old, my wedding, my brother's wedding, and my daughter's wedding. As far as I can tell, these are the only times he was in church since his own wedding a First Methodist Church in Dallas in 1951.

"I was raised Seventh Day Adventist. That is what I was."

"I went to Sabbath School. That is what I did."

"I loved Sabbath School. This is true of me."

"When I was in England, I went to Sabbath School every week. That is what I did." (note: this was never any part of his World War II stories, so I don't know if this is accurate or not)

"I got tired of going to church alone. That is what I did. So I went to church with everyone else on Sunday. That is what I did."

"When I went to church on Sunday, I started working on Saturdays. This is true of me."

"When I lived in Keene, I went to Sabbath School. That is what I did."

"When I moved to Dallas, everyone went to church on Sunday. That is what they did."

"I didn't like being the only one to go to Sabbath School in Dallas. This is true of me."

"My wife raised my daughter to be a Methodist. This was true of her."

"My wife and my daughter wanted me to convert. That is what they did."

"So I converted to be a Methodist. This is true of me."

"I went to church every Sunday to make my wife and daughter happy. That is what I did."

"I joined the Sunday School. This is true of me."

"Since I had never joined the Adventist Church, they turned their backs on me. That is what they did."

"The preacher wanted me to convert to Methodist, so I did. This is true of me."

"I became a Methodist and went to Southern Methodist University. That is what I did." (going to SMU was accurate)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home