Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Conversation with Dad

I wouldn't say Dad is lazy, but when he was a young man, his mother had to tell him to "put that book down and get a job." She had to threaten to throw him out of the house if he didn't do something besides sit around and read. He's been like that ever since. Ok, I would say he is lazy.
Today:
"I'm barely alive, that is what I am."

My response--You don't have to be. Get out of your chair and DO something, and you'll be more alive.

I guess the child really does become the parent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home