Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Floating Age

Background: Dad is 87. He retired at the age of 70. All of this was one steady stream of talk while rocking back and forth.

"I am 80 years old. That's what I am."

"Everyone in my family lived to be 80 years old. I am 80 years old, so I won't live much longer."
"I retired at 80, and I get a US government pension. That is what I do."

"I have lived a long time. That is what I have done. I am 75 years old. I retired at 70. That is what I did. Since my family all lived to 80, I won't live much longer."

"I am 70 years old, I just retired. That is what I did. Now I get a pension."

"I am 72 years old. I retired just a couple of years ago. I went in to them and told them I wanted to retire and to give me a pension, so that is what they did."

"I am 80 years old. That is what I am. I have lived a long time. That is what I have done. I won't live to be much older, that is what I will not do."

"I am 73 years old. I retired last year. That is what I did. Now I am retired and I don't have to go to work."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home