Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Friday, January 14, 2005

Locks

Dad was putting himself to bed at random hours, sometimes as early as 5:45. The problem with Dad undressing himself is that he gets pee and poop all over his room. In order to prevent it, one of us had to be glued to Dad's side. We couldn't even run a quick errand or walk the dog before putting Dad to bed. So, we bought a typical bathroom door lock to keep him from causing problems. We can go through the ajoining bathroom to lock and unlock it, but that's further than Dad would ever consider walking.

Dad greatly resents being locked out of his room.

"I'm locked out of my own bedroom. That's what I do not like."

"I'm left locked out of my own room, shivering in the rain." (He was inside, and it wasn't raining.)

"I'm going to get sick, shivering in the rain, locked out of my own room."

"I'm going to get old-monia, not pnuemonia."

"There is nothing new about the monia I'm going to get from being locked out of my room."

"I'm going to die of old-monia," he says making himself cough.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, good grief! *giggling*

Reyesuela

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home