Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Friday, December 31, 2004

Marriage

"I love my wife very much. That's what I do."
"Is my wife still alive? That's what I want to know."

(I explain to him that he ate breakfast with her this morning and lunch with her less than an hour ago.)

"So my wife is still alive. That's what she is. I had breakfast with her, that's what I did. I had lunch with her, that's what I did. I will have dinner with her, that's what I will do."
"How old is she? That's what I want to know."

(I explain that she is 80)

"I love my wife very much. That's what I do. We are very old. That's what we are. We are very old, but we are still alive. That's what we are."
"So I've gotten old; that's what I've done." "My wife has gotten old; that's what she has done."
"She is my wife. and I love her very much. That's what I still do."
"We had 2 kids, that's what we did."
"So I live in Dallas, that's what I still do."

(He moved away from Dallas 9 years ago)

"I love my wife very much, that's what I still do. So I miss her very much, that's what I do."

(miss her? she's been away from him less than an hour and is taking a nap in her room)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home