Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Sunday, December 19, 2004

Really Short Term Memory

My husband got Dad up, gave him his shower, and dressed him. Dad came to the table where he had his usual breakfast of a banana, toast, egg, and coffee. He had just finished and I had not even put his dishes in the dishwasher yet when Dad asked where his breakfast was. I asked him what he meant.


"I need my grits and milk."


Dad has not eaten grits for breakfast in the 53 years he has been married. I told him what he had just eaten.


"Well, I guess I'm not hungry then."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, you are so blessed you have a husband who helps you! Second of all... I know this story all too well... You should hear it when a family member comes on to my Unit and a Resident tells them that they didn't eat today, when they already have eaten every crumb of Breakfast and Lunch. I am glad that I educate the families and they don't think I'm starving their mothers!!!

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home