Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Holiday Traditions

Every year since I can remember, Dad and I have gone out shopping the day after Thanksgiving for Mom's Christmas and birthday presents.


We had a traditional Thanksgiving this year with turkey and all the trimmings. I used the china and silver, even though only 5 of us were home. We talked about Thanksgiving and Dad watched the Macy's parade and the traditional football games. However, for the first time ever, Dad didn't mention shopping. Since walking is difficult, I just took care of getting the presents for him. Now, I almost (repeat almost) wish I hadn't.


Last night after dinner, Dad asked what the date was. When I told him, he immediately thought of Christmas and Mom's birthday and wanted to get her presents. I told him they were taken care of, and I think he understood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home