Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Girls

The Tuesday before Thanksgiving, we were in the car going out to dinner (to a restaurant that serves Chicken Fried Steak, of course). We were going on Tuesday because we wouldn't be going out for Thanksgiving. While we were in the car, Dad asked us to take him some where he could meet some girls.


"I need to meet some girls."


I asked why he needed to meet some girls.


"I need to marry a girl."


Rather than say my instant response of "As opposed to a boy?" I asked him why he needed to marry a girl.


"My parents told me to marry a girl."


My husband asked him when his parents told him that.


"A couple of days ago."


I reminded him that he has been married 53 years to Mom.


"In that case, I don't need to marry a girl."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home