Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Meals again

Dad got up very late on Saturday, so he didn't eat breakfast until 9:00. Because his breakfast was so late, I didn't give him lunch until 1:00. My husband had gone to a football game with some friends, and I knew he would probably be late getting home, so I was planning a late dinner. I wasn't too worried because Dad had eaten lunch at 1 and Mom had eaten at 1:30.

Well, that didn't stop Dad. At 5:00, he came in and sat at the table, expecting to be fed. To add to the confusion, my son who was home from college was eating a pizza. Dad thought it was totally unfair that my son got to eat a pizza and I wouldn't fed him dinner. I explained to Dad that

a. The pizza was my son's lunch since he kept college student hours

b. He had eaten a late lunch himself

c. My husband wasn't home from the game yet, so I wasn't ready to cook dinner.

I finally convinced Dad that waiting in his chair in the TV room was much more comfortable than waiting at the table.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home