Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Saturday, October 02, 2004

Geography and Water

Dad has always been interested in geography. Travel books were among his favorites as a child.


"I've never been to Africa. This is true of me."


"My daughter has never been to Africa. This is true of her."


My brother went to live in Arkansas. He never went to Africa. That was true of him."


"The Sahara is a desert in Africa. It takes up most of Africa. I've never been to Africa."


"The Sahara does not get much rain. They don't have enough rain to grow crops. That is true of them."


"The Amazon gets too much rain. The Amazon is not a desert. It gets too much rain to grow crops. That is true of it."


"Texas has dry areas. West Texas is dry. It is hard to grow crops in West Texas. New Mexico doesn't get much rain either. Arizona is a desert. They can't grow crops in Arizona."


"East Texas gets plenty of rain. There are lots of rivers in East Texas. They can have agriculture there."


I guess all this talk about deserts and rain made Dad thirsty. He came to the table, put on his bib, and started talking about water.


"I don't smoke. I have never smoked. That is why I am thirsty. I need to drink water because I never smoked."


"I have never smoked and I don't want to smoke. That is true of me. That is why I drink water. I need water to drink."


"I don't get enough to drink. I need water because I don't smoke."


???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home