Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Lucid (sort of) Evening

At dinner Thursday (out to eat night), I was talking to Mom about when my husband would be home from his autumn backpacking trip. Dad asked who we were talking about. I explained to him, but I'm not sure he really understood. My husband had been gone a week, and Dad hadn't even mentioned him. He ususally asks where my husband is (that man, or the man who sits there, or the man who helps me) within a day or two of his absence.


However, Dad did ask where he had gone. I said he was backpacking in Montana. Dad remembered some of the geography of Montana and asked if he were backpacking in the mountains or on the plains. Dad then said that he had just driven through Montana without really stopping to see anything. I reminded him that he had been to Glacier National Park in Montana. Dad remembered that it was on the US Canada border.


He then said, "If I remember correctly, I've been in all 50 states." I confirmed that he had. He then said wistfully, "I don't remember much about Hawaii." (remember, he has said that he doesn't know why Hawaii hasn't become a state yet--see July 19) Since Mom and Dad went to Hawaii after I left home, I couldn't tell him anything about his trip. I think he wanted to be reminded. Mom's strokes have gotten her speech areas, so she couldn't tell him either.


Too sad...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home