Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Bedtime stories

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, will you let me go to sleep?"


"Mirror, mirror on the wall, will you let me go to sleep?"


"Mirror, mirror on the wall, if I close my eyes will you let me go to sleep?"

Followed by:


My husband: "Why did you spit on the floor?"


Answer: "I didn't have anywhere else to spit."


My husband shows him the trashcan next to his chair and tells him that he can spit in there--or swallow it.


A few minutes later: "I don't have to spit on the floor. I can spit on the thing. All my life I've spit on the floor."


My husband: "I've known you over 30 years, and you've never spit on the floor."


Later, we hear Dad practicing spitting in the trashcan. "I don't have to spit on the floor. I can spit in the can."


Over, and over, and over--he's going to be dehydrated by morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home