Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Friday, August 13, 2004

Dad's Views of My Husband

Sometimes, Dad knows who my husband is. Other times he is "that man who helps me" or just "that man." My husband has worked for the university since 1980. Dad has been on campus and seen where he works many, many times. He's never understood what my hsuband did, but that's not surprising since he never has had a clue (even pre-Alzheimer's) what computers do or what kinds of people work on them. However, he has come up with some interesting things that he thinks is "true of him:"


Once, my husband was briefly the last of the Romanovs (See July 9).


Another time, he was an investment banker who had gotten very rich and who had advised Dad on his investments. (I wish)


Recently, he was a former Dallas Cowboy football player. (note--my husband has a runner/cyclist build. He is 5'10" and weighs about 145 lbs. I don't think he would last 5 minutes on the field with professional football players.)

My husband and my brother have the same name. That has caused minor confusion over the past 34 years, but we usually know which one we are talking about. However, it is really confusing Dad. Sometimes when he remembers my husband's name, he think my husband is his son and that I am his daughter-in-law.


It's getting really interesting....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home