Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Sunday, August 01, 2004

Visit from Granddaughter and Great-Grandson

My daughter and her 18 month old son came for a visit. This has prompted several funny comments from Dad.


The morning after they arrived, Dad was asking who the girl and baby were. Mom explained that the girl is his granddaughter and the baby is his great-grandson. He asked if she was married. Mom told him that he had gone to the wedding and showed him a picture. He said, "I don't remember giving her permission to get married." (as if she needed permission from a grandparent)

Then Dad asked if his son was married. Mom answered yes. Dad said he didn't remember the wedding. Mom told him he went to the wedding in Florida. (My sister-in-law's family lives in Florida. She hasn't lived there in more than 15 years. They live in Fort Worth.)

I didn't know about this conversation. Out of the blue at dinner that nignt, Dad pops up with, "My son wants me to move to Florida. I don't want to live in Florida." I asked him why he thought my brother wanted him to move to Florida. He said because that's where he got married. I told him the wedding was in Florida, but his son lived in Fort Worth. He said, "Good, because I don't want to live in Florida." (note--Dad and my brother have never gotten along. The LAST thing my brother would want would be to have Dad live near/with him.)


My husband took my daughter and her son to Dallas for a convention. After they had been gone 4 days, Dad finally notices that my husband (who puts him to bed every night and dresses him most mornings) is gone. At dinner, he points to my husband's chair and asks where "that man" is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home