Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Noticing Things

I didn't think Dad was even noticing that his great-grandson was in the house. However, my daughter told me that she was sitting alone at the table with Dad when he pointed to the highchair and asked, "Where's that baby that always sits here?" At that point, the "baby" (now nearly 2 years old) had only been in the house for 3 days--not even close to always.

My daughter explained where the baby was and who the baby was, reminding him who she was. Dad's comment was that he didn't even know she was married. My daughter reminded him that he had been to the wedding. He responded, "Well, then, I guess you are married and it's OK for you to have a baby."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home