Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Sunday, April 03, 2005

More Family

Tonight, Dad thought he was mother. He said that they had been married "30, no 40 years" and that they had had "five, ten, fifteen, twenty-five sons and one daughter." One of their sons had been trained up by Dad (as mother) and was now "President of the Company." I am the Vice Presidentof the company, and I work part time so I can take care of my kids. According to Dad, I am in my 20s. I have 2 kids, but I am pregnant with baby #3. My brother, who is now President of the company, is just a few years older than I am.

As mother speaking to himself, he talked about how they had fallen in love and that "you proposed to me, and I accepted."

This morning, Dad alternated between be a Russian Christian and a Russian businessman. In both cases, he had fled persecution in Russia and was now in America. He spoke about Communists persecuting Christians and taking everything away from businessmen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home