Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Friday, March 18, 2005

Whining, Part 3,479,416

Dad has been whining all day long about being hungry. I have fed him as much or more than he gets when the home health care aide feeds him. For breakfast, he had 2 eggs, sausage, a banana, a cup of coffee, and a glass of water. For lunch, he had a tuna fish salad sandwich, a bowl of walnuts, a sugar-free fudge bar, a glass of milk, and a glass of water. This was more than my very physically active husband ate for both meals. Dad fussed about still being hungry after each meal. I asked Mom, and she said that he does fuss when the aide feeds him.

I figured out what the problem is. I don't like a dirty table, and I can't stand used dishes sitting around. As Dad finishes with something (banana skin, plate, bowl, etc.) I remove it from the table. The table is clean when Dad gets up to go back to his chair. Since he can't SEE the food dishes he just used, he can't REMEMBER what he ate!

So, I have a choice--an unappetizing table or a whiny Dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Franklin said...

This is definitely an interesting topic for a blog, for such a difficult topic you have done a great job dealing with the humor of it and sharing it with us. Great job!

-Ryan Franklin
-dailyfranklin.com

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home