Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Friday, April 08, 2005

Bedtime Stories

Putting my Dad to bed, my husband learned many interesting things:

"I am a black man" (repeated 2 times)

"No, I am a white man" (repeated 2 more times)

"I am a black man, and I bought your house in Oak Cliff."

"I lived in Chicago. It is very cold in Chicago."

"I retired with a pension and I moved to Dallas."

"It isn’t as cold in Texas. We have a Norther come through now and then, and then it gets warm again."

"I am a black man. My father was a black man."

"I moved back to the Congo. I worked in the factory in South Africa."

"Then I moved to the Congo. They have factories in the Congo. We are in the Congo. My father was a black man."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home