Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Family Matters

Dad started losing his hearing before anything else went. He refused to wear hearing aids because they amplified the noise. However, the side affect was not only difficulty understanding, but Dad also couldn't recognize people by their voice. This was complicated by my daughter and me sounding very much alike.

That wasn't too bad until the macular degeneration set in. Visual clues as to people's identities became difficult. Then the dementia set in. He still knows his wife's name and calls for her regularly. He remembers the names of his children, siblings, and parents, but not his grandchildren. Right now, I don’t think he recognizes any of us. I’m not sure how much is his blindness and how much is the dementia. I think that in his mind, we should look like we did 30 years ago. He can’t connect how we look now with the way he remembers his family looking. The few times recently that he has recognized Mama, he has remarked on his surprise at her white hair.

Last night, though was really strange. Dad decided that he was his older brother, Martin. My husband alternated between being my grandfather, William, and my dad. As Martin, Dad said that he worked for Dallas Title. (Dad did. His brother Martin was a farmer and a broom-maker) Dallas Title had forced him to move to New York when they opened a branch there. Dad (as Martin) still lived in New York with his sister and parents. That is when my husband became William.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home