Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Another Whine Topic

I'd completely forgotten about this whine topic (repression, I guess), but this afternoon Dad has been whining about his nose. We live in allergy central. Dad is on prescription antihistimines, and he is unable to figure out how to use nose sprays (or he can't coordinate the spray with inhaling). So, there isn't anything I can do for him.

"I can't breathe out of one side of my nose. That is what I cannot do."

"One side of my nose is stopped up. That is what it is."

"I need some nose spray. That is what I need." (Even though when we have given it to him in the past, it doesn't do any good because he can't use it correctly.)

Even worse, he digs in his nose with his finger. Sometimes he digs so much that he gives himself a nosebleed. Then he insists he needs to go to the emergency room.

Not a pleasant sight or topic of conversation at dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home