Life with Dad

Caring for someone with dementia, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Name:
Location: Texas

This blog is a reflection on being a member of the "sandwich generation". We are those sandwiched between aging parents who need care and/or help and their own children. After an extensive remodel of our house, we moved my parents in with us. Dad has Alzheimer’s, which adds complications to the situation.

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Dad's Observations on Life

Dad must have been extra hungry tonight because he was sitting at his place at the table when I came home just after 5:00. He was saying, "It's time to eat. Maybe someone will feed me. I don't want to starve to death. They won't make me starve to death." So, I explained to him that it would take a little while to prepare dinner. I talked him back into his chair in the family room.


A few minutes later though he was back at the table. He started making several observations about life:


"I'm old. Every day I get a day older. That's true of me."


"I like to have support for my back. When I don't have support for my back, it gets tired. What's true for my back is true of me."


"I'm sitting on my rear end. I'm getting tired of sitting on my rear end. That's true of me." (note--he doesn't do anything else--ever_


About dinner preparations: "When she is ready, she'll be ready. That's true of her."


About the dog: "She can't have puppies. She wants to have puppies, but she doesn't know she can't have puppies. That's true of her."


Each one of these declarations were made at least ten times.


Ah, accompaniment to cook by. You have to laugh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*giggles*
Reyesuela

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home